TOP BUZZ: Many Nigerian migrants in Libya, returned home - SyCtRenDs

MAXIMUM TRENDING UPDATES

Breaking

Increase Your Social Signals

Sunday, October 28, 2018

TOP BUZZ: Many Nigerian migrants in Libya, returned home

Many Nigerian migrants from Libya repatriated home

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) announced recently that altogether 10,000 Nigerians had been repatriated from Libya, under the EU-IOM joint Initiative on Migrant Protection and Reintegration, so far since April 2017.

NEMA made the disclosure on 12 October, while receiving the latest batch of Nigerian deportees from the North African country who arrived Lagos, without giving any information about the likely number of our nationals still stranded in Libya.

Last October, in the aftermath of the CNN footage showing sub-Saharan migrants being auctioned as slaves in Libya, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) revealed that hundreds of thousands of migrants were stranded in Libya, a major transit country for migrants seeking to cross the Mediterranean to Europe. And most analysts say a sizable percentage of these irregular migrants, who are unable to continue their journey to Europe due to defensive measures adopted by European countries, are Nigerians.

So, the figure of 10,000 Nigerians who have been successfully brought back home while being a positive development could amount to only a fraction of our nationals still left in Libya, where there’re said to live in appalling conditions and are exposed to severe human rights abuses.

Libya’s Foreign Minister Mohamed al-Taher Siala in an interview reported widely international news agencies last week admitted that its detention facilities still held many sub-Saharan migrants whom the country did not know what to do with.

Siala estimated that around 30,000 illegal migrants were currently held in detention centres in Libya “and around 750,000 outside”. Libya was working with the EU to send the migrants to their home countries, he said. “But unfortunately, some of these countries – many West African countries – refuse to take them back.”

However, there was a video that was widely circulated on social media in July, wherein a group of Nigerian migrants cried out from captivity in a detention centre in Zawiya, near Tripoli. They had smuggled out the video, taken on their phones and dated July 7, 2018, wherein they called on the federal government and notable Nigerians to intervene on their behalf to free them from the Libyan detention centre where they said they had been held for more than five months. In response to the video the IOM intervened, freeing the Nigerians, who have since returned home.

A Germany-based NGO, Migration Enlightenment Project Nigeria (MEPN), also recently called on the federal government to demand that the Libyan government free all Nigerian nationals still being held in camps and facilities it controls.

The MEPN, which is currently carrying out a campaign to promote a greater awareness of the risks and dangers of irregular migration in Nigeria, said thousands of young women and men were still being held in Libya not only in official detention centres but also camps run by smuggling gangs and militias.

Is it not time for our government, working with their Libyan counterparts, to carry out an audit of Nigerians stranded in the North African country to enable us know how many are left so that they could design a repatriation plan with a timeline? It’s a duty the government owes its stranded citizens who are said to be exposed to daily danger to life and limb in the country.

Thousands of Nigerians are believed to have lost their lives in the past five years in the process of irregular migration. This should serve as a lesson to those planning to leave the country. Migrating is not a crime but those leaving should do it safely legally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get likes on your Facebook page

Increase Your Social Signals